Is Prophetic Consulting Biblical?
What does the word prophetic mean?
First let’s define what the word prophetic means so you can have a better understanding what prophetic consulting means. We get our word prophetic from the word prophecy. In Revelations 19:10b, “…for the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy.” The Strongs number G4394 – propheteia defines from its Greek meaning as follows:
A discourse emanating from divine inspiration and declaring the purposes of God whether by reproving and admonishing the wicked, or comforting the afflicted or revealing things hidden; esp. by foretelling future events.
What is Prophetic Consulting?
The primary purpose of a Prophetic Consultation session is to help Clients seeking breakthrough in one or more areas of their lives. It’s to help Clients reach an end goal or result by uncovering the obstacles that are hindering them from reaching freedom in the areas of personal life, relationships or business.
The way the consulting session process is accomplished is by the Consultant partnering with Holy Spirit, asking a series of Holy Spirit led questions, to uncover the area(s) of blockages/obstacles that’s keeping the Client from seeking breakthrough. Once the blockage/obstacle is revealed, the Client may then receive immediate breakthrough or seeks further guidance for the inner healing to bring the breakthrough.
Is it Biblical to charge for Prophetic Consulting?
Let’s first address this type of consulting, that many religious people have a concern with is from the story of Balaam. Many religious people believe this type of consulting borders on divination and uses Numbers 22-24 as their argument.
First of all Balaam was not an Israelite prophet but a false prophet/diviner/soothsayer who was paid to curse people and loved the wages of unrighteousness. Balaam would study the different gods of his day to know how people were blessed and cursed by those gods.
The Moabite-King Balak sends his men to Balaam to pay him a diviners fee to curse the Israelites (Numbers 22:7) because they feared them.
Prophetic Consulting is not about cursing God’s people but instead bringing freedom (Luke 4:18) by partnering with Holy Spirit to lead them to a breakthrough the Kingdom way.
Using God’s Holy word (principles), His ways (practices) and His will (presence-led) through Christ Jesus by direction of Holy Spirit.
What other ways did prophets/prophetic people receive payment for services sought after? (bold and italicized emphasized)
- I Timothy 5:17-18, “The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”
- Luke 10:7, And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house.
- Deuteronomy 25:4, ““You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.”
- Genesis 41:39-42, Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one as discerning and wise as you…Then Pharaoh removed the signet ring from his finger, put it on Joseph’s finger, clothed him in garments of fine linen, and placed a gold chain around his neck.”
- I Kings 14:2-3, “and Jeroboam said to his wife, “Now get up, disguise yourself so they will not recognize you as my wife, and go to Shiloh. For Ahijah the prophet is there; it was he who spoke about my kingship over this people. Take with you ten loaves of bread, some cakes, and a jar of honey, and go to him. He will tell you what will become of the boy.”
- II Kings 8:8-9, “So the king said to Hazael, “Take a gift in your hand, go to meet the man of God, and inquire of the LORD through him, ‘Will I recover from this illness?’ ”
- I Samuel 9:7, “If we do go,” Saul replied, “what can we give the man? For the bread in our packs is gone, and there is no gift to take to the man of God. What do we have?”
- Daniel 5:16, “And I have heard of you, that you can give interpretations and explain enigmas. Now if you can read the writing and make known to me its interpretation, you shall be clothed with purple and have a chain of gold around your neck, and shall be the third ruler in the kingdom.”
- Isaiah 9:6-7, For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us. And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace…The zeal of the LORd of hosts will accomplish this.”
*Counselor – Strongs definitions #H3289, yaw-ats’a primitive root; to advise; reflexively, to deliberate or resolve:-advertise, take advise, advise(well), consult, (give, take) counsel(-lor), determine, devise, guide, purpose.